Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:57:38 -0800

root wrote:
The main plus of this packaging for sage is that it builds from
source quickly (in a few minutes) using precompiled clisp files.

Well, on my 2Ghz machine with 2 Gig of memory running VMWare and
using the sage vmware image (but upgrading the VM to have 1G memory)
I started the package-install at 3:30am this morning. It is now
2:10pm and the build is still "in-process". They are heavy things,
your minutes :-)

UH ... before we go hunting for Fricas performance issues in the build, let's make sure we aren't experiencing a VMware performance issue. :)

1. What version of VMware are you running?
2. Is the/are the virtual disk(s) de-fragmented?
3. What's your host, and what does your host's "native" performance monitor tool (Task Manager on Windows or "top" on Linux) show the virtual machine is doing? You'll see a process at the top of the list named something like "vmware-vmx".