Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom: fixed and fixed proposed bit vectors

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom: fixed and fixed proposed bit vectors
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:28:52 -0500

I consider "fixed xxx" and "fixed proposed" as two statuses, not 16 (but that is up to your interpretation what counts as a status). One reason for proposing this "cryptic" version is to enable automatic sorting. One can write a program to search "fixed" and "fixed proposed" and then parse xxx to filter out those that are fixed or not fixed, or proposed or not proposed for any of the flavors. This program will allow users to do searches and be presented only with a particular xxx view.

As long as the bit vector is documented, it is no more cryptic than other code. A bit vector is the most efficient of data representation. Since each axiom has its own bit, it is easy to even spot the status visually.

If you use comments after "fixed" and "fixed proposed", someone will have to read the comments manually and sort the bug reports manually. It would be better to know ahead of reading the comments what one is about to read.

In the best scenario, the code xxx would only go through 4 values (starting with 000 and increasing by changing a 0 to a 1, at most three times).

William

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:54:55 -0500