Re: [Axiom-developer] Fedora 8 binary problem

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Fedora 8 binary problem
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:14:30 -0500

I logged into my fedora8 box as root and then did:

# as root:
# Create an installed copy of Axiom in /usr/local
# This is basically a copy operation

mkdir /usr/local/axiom
cp -pr mnt /usr/local/axiom

# To test your setup I create a new user
useradd daly

# Try to run Axiom as daly
su - daly

# as daly:
# make an input file
echo "3+5" >test.input
# set up the environment variables
export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/fedora8
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
axiom
   (failed to start)

# become root:
su -

# We need to fix the randomize_va_space
echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
exit

# as daly again,
axiom
)read test

# this worked for me.

When I try to run your example it fails due to an inability to coerce
but I can read the input file.

To debug it try:

strace axiom

and see if you can spot the permission bit that might be failing.
If nothing is obvious, post the strace output and I'll help.