[Axiom-developer] Reproducible Research Repository

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Reproducible Research Repository
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:57:52 -0500

The Ecole Polytechnique Federale De Lausanne has introduced
an online journal for reproducible research at:
  <http://rr.epfl.ch/17/>

The introductory headline reads:

  Have you ever tried to reproduce the results presented in a research
  paper? For many of our current publications, this would unfortunately
  be a challenging task. For a computational algorithm, details such as
  the exact dataset, initialization or termination procedures and precise
  parameter values are often omitted in the publication for various
  reasons. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, for someone else
  to obtain the same results. To address the problem, we have started
  making our research reproducible. Instead of only describing the
  developed algorithms to 'sufficient' precision in an article, we give
  readers access to all the information (code, data, schemes, etc) that
  was used to produce the presented results as first advocated by Knuth
  and Claerbout. We are convinced that making research reproducible is
  not only a matter of good practice, but also increases the impact of
  our publications and makes it easier to build upon each other's work.
  It is a clear win-win situation for our community: we will have access
  to more and more algorithms and can spend time inventing new things
  rather than recreating existing ones.