[Axiom-developer] Full Axiom on Windows

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Full Axiom on Windows
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:57:22 -0500

You can now run a complete Axiom system on native windows.

The approximate steps are:

A) set up an X server on windows:
 1) visit http://gears.aset.psu.edu/hpc/guides/xming
 2) download Xming
 3) install it in windows
 4) launch it

B) download axiom ubuntu image
 1) http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/downloads.html
 2) download ubuntu binary as axiom-ubuntu-nov2008-bin.tgz
 3) move axiom tgz image to C:\

C) set up Portable_Ubuntu on windows:
 1) visit
http://lifehacker.com/5195999/portable-ubuntu-runs-ubuntu-inside-windows
 2) download Portable Ubuntu
 3) install it (it created c:\Portable_Ubuntu directory)
 4) cd Portable_Ubuntu
 5) run_portable_ubuntu (its a bat file)

D) enable root access
 1) in the ubuntu menu bar Applications->Terminal
 2) sudo passwd root (the default root passwd is 123456)

E) install axiom into /etc (the only place with room in my install)
 0) su -
 1) cd /etc
 2) tar -zxf /mnt/C/axiom-ubuntu-nov2008-bin.tgz
 3) cd axiom
 4) export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/ubuntu
 5) export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
 6) axiom

For me, axiom starts, hyperdoc pops up, and I can run graphics.