Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:35:55 +0000

On Monday 16 November 2009 04:35:00 Tim Daly wrote:
> This is a request for design discussion for those who are interested.

Tim,

Can I ask a nieve question? If you were starting from scratch would you write
Axiom in lisp? I've no special axe to grind and no special technical
knowledge, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

It just seems to me that for Axiom to hit the bigtime:

* potential programmers and advanced users would want a modern graphical IDE
and useful error messages.
* non-advanced users would want a html-like interface that changes with the
fashion of the time (the look seems to be important these days).

I just wondered how practical it is to do all these things on top of lisp? As
opposed to say another functional language supported by something like the
Eclipse framework? When I first came across the spad language, a few weeks ago
now! I was really surprised how similar it is to the language Scala, without
knowing what the technical issues might be it would be interesting to know if
spad could be built on top of Scala?

Martin