[Axiom-developer] compiling in Axiom

From: Paul Selick
Subject: [Axiom-developer] compiling in Axiom
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:49:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I used AXIOM a number of years ago, and I think at that time I understood the difference between a *.as and *.spad file, but have since forgotten.

I had written  *.as  files.

Recently I tried to run some of my old code unsuccessfully in the modern AXIOM.
I used to use the command line
    axiomxl -laxllib -Fx filename.as
although I understand the this method of producing a standalone executable
is no longer supported (no   axiomxl  command)
So I started the interpreter and typed
    )co filename.as
and got an error message saying
"Only AXIOM source files with file extensions .as, .ao, .al, or .spad
      can be compiled."

My file WAS named something.as and although my syntax in the file may need modernizing, I got the impression that the compiler didn't look into file beyond the name.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong and what would need to be done to get on old *.as file to compile in the modern AXIOM ?
Thanks,
Paul Selick