Re: [Axiom-developer] bug in books/tangle.lisp

From: u1204
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] bug in books/tangle.lisp
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:50:29 -0500

First I need to mention the fact that Axiom refers to the Axiom
project, not to the FriCAS project. Please don't confuse these
two as they are distinct projects.

>axiom-environment keeps a list of axiom symbols,
>https://bitbucket.org/pdo/axiom-environment/src/3d58f5ff7412cb519bbfb70f3cc0711931e216e9/data/?at=default
>and the author updates it a few times, but there is no documentation
>about how to do it.

>In ${FRICASROOT}/algebra/*.daase, these files seem like database.
>Only in fricas these files contain lots of ascii instead of lots of
>numbers.

The daase files are databases. "daase" is a contraction of "database"
due to length restrictions of filenames in one of the many intermediate
porting platforms.

They are random access files, indexed by byte address. There is a C
program in src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet which is a literate program that
explains the details of the daase file format. It can be used to
"ask" (asq) for information from daase files.

The original KAF (keyed access file) format is from LispVM.

>https://github.com/ustcscgy/axiom-environment/tree/fricas.el

>I implement  fricas.el's "fricas-yank" functionality into
>axiom-environment's axiom-spad-mode, but much much more user friendly.

>This has been hacked for only a few hours, lots of stuff to improve, but
>it's enough to express my ideal workflow:
>
>(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/axiom-environment/")
>(require 'axiom)
>
>M-x run-axiom
>C-x C-f test.spad ;; open a .spad file
>
>-- you can write a one-line function, then press C-c C-c to run
>integrate(x,x)
>
>-- you can write piles, this is what I want
>-- press C-c C-c to run
>1+
>  2
>  3

Actually I do this all the time. All you need to do is C-x 2 to split
the screen, M-x shell to open a shell buffer, start Axiom, and write a
trivial macro to "clip the expression, yank it into the shell, and press
enter". I have developed hundreds of files this way (see src/input or
src/axiom-website/CATS for examples).

Note that Axiom does not support "pile mode" in the input. You would
need to have trailing underscores on the input or write the expression
to a .input file and )read it.