Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Axiom musings...

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Axiom musings...
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 07:10:02 -0500

The goal is to prove Axiom algorithms, such as the GCD
over the natural numbers, correct using something like Lean.

I've studied traditional approaches like Hoare triples
but I think there might be a different approach. It depends
on Harper's Trinity.

Suppose I had a set of verification conditions V.
Suppose I had a functor that carries V to a program P.
Suppose I had a functor that carries V to a proof  Q.
By the category definition of functors this implies a
natural transformation between P and Q ... and I'm done.

Except for some annoying details, of course.

1) What is a functor from V to P? Well, I have all of
group theory already available because of the way
Axiom is constructed. So the "elements" of the functor
requires things like "carrying identity". Exactly what
this implies in the constructed program P needs to
be worked out in detail.

2) What is the functor from V to Q? Well, if I construct
a sequent calculus version of Lean's Type Theory then
I have a "complete" set of low-level tactics. It isn't clear
how those tactics can be applied to construct the functor
(at least not yet).

3) The two functors require certain constraints on the
verification conditions V. In dealing with the GCD over
the natural numbers (known as NonNegativeInteger or
NNI in Axiom) we need to make sure that V contains
all of the conditions that the correct program requires
(such as deriving the recursive call).

4) V also needs constraints in dealing with the GCD
so that the proof can use the Lean sequent rules
to derive a proof of the GCD. So I'd have to construct
a sequent proof of the GCD from the sequent-derived
tactics.

5) I don't know of a languge V that covers both the
needs of the functors for P and Q so that will take
some omphaloskepsis. I might have to write a
"linter" program.

This category theory approach, using Harper's Trinity,
has the potential of proving programs correct without
dealing with things like Hoare triples.

This all works in theory but there is a lot of practical
work, such as deriving a sequent form of Lean's Type
Theory, deriving functors that fulfill all the definitions
using things like Axiom's group theory structure, and
inventing the verification language V rich enough
for both needs.

It's gonna be a long winter :-)

Tim
.