ayttm-users

Re: [Ayttm-users] gtk2 port

From: Colin Leroy
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-users] gtk2 port
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:39:19 +0100

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:45:49 +0100 Nicolas Peninguy
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Colin Leroy wrote:
>
> > Would be cool (if it doesn't drop gtk1 ;-)). Perhaps it's achievable
> > using some wrapping things*, and/or #defines (could be ugly, though).
>
> Yes, I think doing it in a clean way would require lots of work.

I'm still wondering _why_ gtk people didn't provide an simple way for such
things. Ok, gtk1 API is not as good as Gtk2's, but a compatibility API
would have been welcomed.

> I use almost only gtk2 apps and I'd like to have a consistant look, save
> some memory etc... For now I use Gaim (gtk2 port from cvs) which works
> fine, but I like the idea of simplicity behind yattm. By the way, what
> are main differences between gaim and yattm ?

I don't know... Never used it. Yattm's website is not as nice ;)
Reading from their site, they support less file-transfer protocols than
yattm, too.

> It seems they are reinventing GConf (Gnome 2 preferences system) with
> their "EB registry".

Which is anyway the stupidest thing I ever saw. Who wants a registry
instead of plaintext files ?

> In fact I think I need a gnome 2 IM application. :-)
> I've found http://gimli.sourceforge.net/ but they seem to want to
> develop yet another library (libelysium)...

Wow - there weren't all these IM-projects when I started needing an msn
client :)

> > In short patches are most welcome, but I do want to keep the gtk1
> > interface :)
>
> What about a XUL interface ? :-))

Nooo, everything but that :-)))
--