bbdb-user

Re: Questions on completion

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Questions on completion
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 14:43:58 +0000

Further to my previous email:

Roland Winkler <address@hidden> writes:

>> I keep records with full names (titles, middle names, etc.)
>> in multiple scripts (Latin and Greek), but in emails I
>> prefer to use abbreviated Latinised names, as they both are
>> more universal and look better in my MUA.  I found the
>> mail-name xfield to be a convenient place to store these.
>
> Thank you, I see your point.  (I might do a similar thing in your
> situation.)

I would be grateful for clarification on the intended use of
and differences between the fields aka, mail-aka and
mail-name.  Could aka, which is already supported by
bbdb-complete-list, be used instead of or in addition to
mail-name for the purpose I describe?  For example,
including the value of mail-name in the aka field permits
both completion on and formatting of the Latinised name.

>> and advise bbdb-complete-mail to first pass the candidates it
>> offers through bbdb-mua-summary-unify.
>
> How does this go?  Is there a hook I overlooked?

I just realised that passing the candidates to
bbdb-mua-summary-unify is an unnecessary remnant from when I
was using EUDC as an interface to BBDB, as bbdb-dwim-mail
already uses bbdb-mail-name.

--
Basil