bbdb-user

Re: BBDB autodialing

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: BBDB autodialing
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 08:53:28 -1000

For Termux the URI was what I originally had, opening it with
xdg-open, and that worked fine, but I changed it (unwisely, perhaps)
to use a direct call for telephony. Still, the point is correct:
Android seems to generally understand the "tel:" nomenclature.

It's not so simple for Linux. While apparently some systems seemingly
understand "tel:" mine don't[1], and I have yet to get it to work. If
I can do that, then I'll revise and perhaps repost

Thank you for the idea. (And, now I know what "bicycle shedding" is
too; something new to learn all the time!)

Aloha,
Bob Newell
Honolulu

[1] "tel:" is understood by Hangouts only when clicking on a phone
number in a web page, at least from what I read and experience myself.
Directing calls to Hangouts without an API requires my kludges with
xdotool. Skype is another option and there's an API but you have to
pay for all Skype telephone calls.