bbdb-user

getting bbdb3 to work with mh-e

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: getting bbdb3 to work with mh-e
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:56:45 -0400

Finally getting back to fixing bbdb.

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> Roland Winkler <address@hidden> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Which version of BBDB are you using?  This list is about BBDB v3
    >> > which, by default, is very shy.  How did you configure BBDB to
    >>
    >> So shy, I can't get it to ever add new entries!
    >> I've been meaning to go back to 2.xx

    > After a long time not getting to it, I updated to 3 (3.2) a while ago,
    > and I had to change a bit of config, but then it's been great.  I use it
    > with gnus.

    > I do not let bbdb auto-notice/insert.  I type : to create an entry.

fair enough, nor did I want that.
I went through your settings, and I can mostly use bbdb3 now, except for
learning.

I now hit ":" and see:
      I get BBDB: MUA `mh-show-mode' not supported

So I conclude something didn't get updated to support mh-e.
I'm using bbdb-version 3.2 from git, commit:
1d26869d2787803672dd412cf658158d6bef0c7b

I am using mh-e version 8.6, which comes with emacs 24.5.1.

I made sure that bbdb/lisp/bbdb-mhe.el is loaded.
I made sure that bbdb-insinuate-mh has run.
(bbdb-initialize) has been in the init.

It appears that bbdb-mua-mode-alist has a line:

    (mh-show-mode mhe-mode mhe-summary-mode mh-folder-mode mh-show-mode)

which preceeds the "mh" mode, but there is no longer support for that mode.
Deleting that line makes things work.

I still occasionally get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  bbdb-insert-record-internal([...
  bbdb-change-record([...
  bbdb-annotate-message((...
  #[0
  funcall(#[0 ..
  bbdb-update-records(((...
  bbdb-mua-update-records(sender query t)
  bbdb-mua-display-records(sender query)
  bbdb-mua-display-sender(query)
  call-interactively(bbdb-mua-display-sender nil nil)
  command-execute(bbdb-mua-display-sender)

It does not always occur, I don't know when it occurs or not.

]     address@hidden  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [