bibledit-development

Re: [be] intention to release version 3.7

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] intention to release version 3.7
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:12:05 -0700

Teus Benschop wrote:

> Yes, that location would be the place where version 3.7 would be
> uploaded. It is not yet there because I am now at work here, 8:45 AM,
> and when there is time tonight I'll release the version and put it there
> in that directory.

OK, that's fine... I  thought from your earlier message that you were
releasing it right then; I'm just over-eager :)

> Sounds a clever system this debian/watch system. Does the system
> automatically notify you of anything new?

Better yet -- it can show the whole Debian or Ubuntu developer community
all packages which have new source code versions available that have not
yet been packaged.  See http://wiki.debian.org/DEHS and
http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/uehs/ for sites doing that.

For me, running uscan locally, I could have it report on all the
packages I care about, or have it download any new source tarballs for
all those packages, automatically, nightly, and email me a report each
day on what it found :)  At the moment I just run it by hand over my
~/packages/ directory tree where I keep all the packages I am working
with, about once a week.  I should probably automate that, a single line
in my crontab would probably do it!

man uscan will explain the details of what has to go into a debian/watch
file so that all this automation and checking for new versions can
happen.  The one for bibledit is nice and simple, it just says:

version=3

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/bibledit/source/bibledit-(.*)\.tar\.gz

There is a companion tool to uscan called uupdate that tries to
automatically update a package tree when it finds a new source tarball,
even adding a new debian/changelog entry in the process.  Combining
uscan and uupdate allows for highly automated initial package updates
for a large set of packages, if desired, although the results still have
to be checked and tested by a developer.  I've never automated things
quite that much myself :)

Jonathan