bibledit-development

[be] Re: Possible Debian/Ubuntu packaging issue

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] Re: Possible Debian/Ubuntu packaging issue
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 05:22:47 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the helpful post about the various issues that affect
installing software in the debian system. I also refer to your message
posted yesterday, the one about the various tools that are used in
packaging.

Thinking about BibleTime, and any relationship that the debian package
says might be there between the two, I don't see any relationship strong
enough that this needs to be set at the package level. Bibledit is an
independent Bible program, and so is BibleTime. Yes, if BibleTime runs,
Bibledit notices that and sends references to is. But that is about all
what the two have in common. If you would drop any relationship
information from the package, that would be fine with me.

I remember having seen a "bug" filed on the debian system that said that
bibledit could not be compiled for one or more processor architectures.
Can't remember which ones. The reason was that BibleTime didn't compile
on that processor. Bibledit itself would have been fine on that
processor, it was only that Recommends: line that caused this "bug". If
this line were completely removed, than bibledit would be more "clean",
and probably compile on any processor that debian supports.

Teus.