bibledit-development

[be] [bug #26333] GoBible does not Go

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [bug #26333] GoBible does not Go
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:51:50 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I am really glad to hear that you are interested in being able to use Go
Bible on cell phones for your translation also! The good news is that almost
any cell phone nowadays is able to run Go Bible. This is what I have found: If
you find games in your cell phone, they are most likely Java games. And Go
Bible is a Java application. So almost any Nokia cell phone will run Go Bible,
however the one I bought recently in Indonesia is the N70. That does way more
than just being able to run Go Bible. On that, I could display pdf's created
by BE.

There is a cell phone java emulator on which you can test Go Bible modules,
which is found at http://mpowerplayer.com/.

I think that if you get involved, it will be really helpful, since I have had
troubles in understanding and navigating through instructions that involve
different scripts and programs. Here is what I understand so far:
Go Bible is made for very simply showing the Bible text, but nothing else. If
section headings are to be included, then they would have to be integrated
into the verse and perhaps marked with [brackets]. There are no paragraph
markers, but again a paragraph symbol might be incorporated as part of the
text of a verse. Go Bible has a nice quick interface for finding verses
quickly. It would be great for use in church (which is why Indonesian church
leaders have been complaining. They don't like people using cell phones in
church. It doesn't "look" right!)
      * Go Bible modules can be compiled from USFM, but I got lost in all the
various programs one must use to get the USFM to the point were it could be
handled by the Go Bible Creator. David Haslam said, "Some USFM files make use
of user-defined markup tags, and Go Bible Creator may stumble over these." So
in order to use GBC, one would have to use CC or some other program to
simplify the USFM structure and perhaps move around various elements like
headings and paragraph markers.
      * Go Bible modules can be compiled from OSIS files. Here is information
from DH:
      * OSIS for SWORD is often structured Book => Section => Paragraph
              * OSIS for GBC requires structure as Book => Chapter => Verse

                There is an XSLT script made by Lars Hutton of SIL that can
transform an OSIS XML file from BSP to BCV.
                This has been tested successfully recently on a Central Asian
language by one of my friends in the UK.
                If you need any technical help with XSLT, one possibility
might to ask Lars Huttar.
              * It was he who wrote the script to convert milestoned OSIS to
containered OSIS suitable for Go Bible.
                This was used recently by one of my CrossWire friends as a
step towards making the Dari Go Bible.
                David's best e-mail for questions about Go Bible is
address@hidden And the blog is http://gobible.blogspot.com/.
      * So please tell me what steps you want to take, and if I can help in
some way.
Phil

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26333>

  Message sent via/by Savannah