bibulus-dev

[Bibulus-dev] Chicago notes

From: Thomas M. Widmann
Subject: [Bibulus-dev] Chicago notes
Date: 20 Apr 2003 21:53:28 +0100

I was just looking through the Chicago Manual of Style (14th ed).
Some notes:

Fig. 15.11 illustrates that sometimes one divides the bibliography
  into books and articles.  Should be easy.

15.68: Institutional authors: "In the second entry below, the dash
   stands for 'U.S. Senate.'  In the third entry, it stands for
   'U.S. Senate.  Committee on Public Lands.'
      "U.S. Senate.  Committee on Foreign Relations.  [Title]
      "------.  Committee on Public Lands.  [Title]
      "------.  [Title]"
   How should such authors be stored in XML?

15.89: In citations in notes, the author may be left out if the name
   occurs in the title.  How does one recognise when this is the case?
   Is normal string-matching OK?

15.90-91: Anonymous works: The author is given in brackets if known,
   in brackets followed by '?' if only surmised and left out if
   unascertainable.  This looks like an extension of the DTD to me...

15.93-95: Pseudonyms: This should be possible to specify together
   with, or instead of, the real name.

15.96: Not only <editor> is needed, but also <translator> and
   <compiler>.

15.100: "Amplifications of the editor's or translator's role indicated
   by such phrases as 'Edited and with an Introduction [Notes] by' or
   'Translated with a Foreword by' are usually simplified to Ed. or
   Edited by, Trans. or Translated by."  This is good news if we want
   to be able to output it in another language.

15.101: If one cites a foreword or an introduction, it should look
   something like 'Mark Harris, introduction to With the Procession,
   by Henry Fuller'.  I guess this is some kind of <inbook>?

15.109: Subtitles.  Should be added.

15.124: Chapter originally published elsewhere.  E.g., '[...] First
   published in North American Political Review, 18: 627-42.'  In
   BibTeX, this is handled by a NOTE field, I think, but we should add
   some kind of crossref field for this.

15.126: Letters: Formatted as, eg., 'Adams to Charles Milnes Gaskell,
   London, 30 March 1868, Letters of Henry Adams, ed. by [...]'.  New
   entry type.

15.131: Sometimes one wants to add information about a foreword or
   similar.  Eg., '[...], with a foreword by W. H. Auden. [...]'  How
   should this be stored?

15.136: Multivolume works: We need a new entry type, including
   i.a. the following fields: <numberofvolumes>, <startyear>,
   <endyear>.

15.142: Volumes split into two or more books: Eg, '[...], vol. 2,
   bk. 1'.  New field.

15.158: "The English language version of the name of a foreign city,
   when such a variant occurs, is usually used in the publication
   facts."  I guess this means the native form should be specified in
   the bib. database, and the language output files should contain
   such information.  (Eg, in lang/en.dat: "city-Torino;Turin".)

15.176: "Forthcoming" or "in press": How should this be specified?

15.179-181: Reprints.  Old books: Only original year is needed; newer
   books: Full info for both orig. and reprint.  If new information is
   added to the reprint, is should be given ("... reprint, with a
   foreword by William D. Stahlman ...").

I didn't get any further this time, but there's more interesting stuff
to consider...

/Thomas
--
Thomas Widmann          Bye-bye to BibTeX: join the Bibulus project now!
address@hidden              <http://www.nongnu.org/bibulus/>