bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] zoom settings

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] zoom settings
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 20:33:17 +0100

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 22:24:07 +0100, Martin Lambers wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 08:10:27 +0100, Martin Lambers wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:28:43 +0100, Frédéric Devernay wrote:
> > > What should the zoom choices be?
> > > I can imagine a selection of three choices, the third having a
> > > value attached to it:
> > > - fit to screen (the previous behaviour)
> > > - fill the screen (the current behaviour with zoom=1)
> > > - custom zoom (to get rid of letterboxing or pillarboxing), from
> > > 1.0 (fit to screen) to 2.0 (2x magnification), maybe with a
> > > slider and an entry to type the value manually
> >
> > OK, I improved the zoom setting in the following way:
> > - Moved it to its own GUI dialog, as it did not really belong
> >   into the video settings (because it is not saved per-video).
> > - Added short documentation to the dialog.
> > - Extended the zoom range from 0 to 2; 0 = fit to screen, 1 = fill
> >   screen, > 1: zoom even more (for videos that have black borders
> >   hard coded).
> > This way, it is still a single setting with slider and value box.
>
> Hm, I realize that this is also not a good solution - it does not work
> in a comparable way with 4:3 and 16:9 screens. Maybe because we are
> mixing two things. How about having two separate settings:
> 1) Zoom for videos that are wider than the screen, from 0 = fit to
> screen to 1 = fill screen (as originally)
> 2) Custom magnification between e.g. 1/4 and 4. That should take care
> of videos that have hard coded black bars.
> Maybe 1) should be remembered per-session and 2) per-video?

Another idea, inspired by VLC:

1) Zoom for videos that are wider than the screen, from 0 = fit to
screen to 1 = fill screen (as originally)

2) A "Crop" setting for videos with black borders: the user can select
the *real* aspect ratio of the video, without the black borders. VLC
gives the choices "Default, 16:10, 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.21:1, 2.35:1,
2.39:1, 5:3, 4:3, 5:4, 1:1".

With 2), Bino can get rid of the hard coded black borders and display
the video as it should be. Furthermore, 2) is a setting that makes a
lot of sense to be remembered per-video. (In fact, it really belongs
in the metadata of the video file, but nobody seems to do that).

Opinions?

Martin