bkchem-user

Re: [Bkchem-user] greek letters

From: Beda Kosata
Subject: Re: [Bkchem-user] greek letters
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:47:10 +0200

oc-spam66 wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Greek letters work just fine for me. Could you please elaborate some
>> more? When you enter the text, does it appear in the entry bar above the
>> drawing area? When yes, what happens when you hit enter - an error
>> message, no text is displayed? What happens when you mix greek and latin
>> letters?
>
> I tried to write different things and I tell the output read on the
> bkchem window after hitting "enter" :
>
> & -> & (correctly interpreted)
> < -> < (correctly interpreted)
> α -> α (not interpreted)
> Aaα -> Aaα (not interpreted)
> /Aa/α -> /Aa/α (not interpreted)
> /Aa/ -> Aa in italics (correctly interpreted)
> × -> I get the right sign "times"
> × -> × (not interpreted)
>
> There was no error. Just that some inputs don't seem to be interpreted.

OK, now I think I understand what you mean. There is a problem when
character entities are used in mail - my reader displays them as the
letters they describe, so I thought that you are putting the alpha
character in literally (using a greek keyboard or whatever).
The problem with character entities (I will write them without the
leading ampersand in order to prevent their decoding) is that thing like
x2022; and other numerical entities are defined in both XML and HTML.
However alpha;, minus;, etc. are only defined in HTML and XML defines
only amp; lt; gt; quot;.
Because BKChem uses an XML parser to process the entered text, only the
numerical entities and the four entities included in XML are supported.

However, it is a very good idea to allow use of other HTML entities and
I will incorporate it in a future release of BKChem.

        Best regards and thanks for your input

                Beda

--
Bedrich Kosata