bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:01:01 +0300

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 09:55, Matthias Laabs wrote:

> installation went without problems, hardware detections works.
> but my touchpad wasn't recognized (probably would be when no mouse
> is present) and dri module was missing in XF86 config - so openGL
> turns out as slideshow.

If you are using a ATI graphics card, then you should be aware that DRI
was commented out of XF86Config, because of a bug that it has with ATI
cards, and on some models, leads to freeze of desktop. If your card
doesn't have a problem with DRI, then just put it in XF86Config.

> After restart screen resolution was wrong.
> Installs lots of packages that i deselected (probably because of
> dependencies) default window manager is icewm...
> no choice which desktop manager is used (comes with gdm -> bad can't
> even restart xserver).

You seem to make many valid points. However, I do not underestand from
which point of view are you talking? Are you reviwing Libranet as a
distro? Or are you evaluating it for our popuse (which is building
another distro on top of it). If you are reviwing it from the later
point of view, I do not see why you care about things like gdm being
the default login manager, or IceWM being the default window manager.
Because certainly, if we are to make a distro based on Libranet, then
we can/should change these things. So these are no a brainer.

> the only thing libranet contributes is the installer and a menu that
> can start some config programs and some install scripts.
> I don't think the price is reasonable. Knoppix or Morphix is also
> debian based, has good hw detection and it is FREE like in "free
> beer".

I disagree with you here. Libranet contributes more than just a
installer. Libranet is contributing an installer, Adminmenu (though it
might be some simple scripts, it really is powerful, and simple to use,
so what's the fuss about it being just a bunch of scripts?). Also
Libranet makes sure that you are using some new packages. Not like
Woody which comes with KDE 2.2. I know, you can upgrade to sid, but
that is another story right? And you might end up, messing your system
(ie. removing a couple of applications in the proccess of apt-get
dist-upgrade). Also, Libranet is taking care of all the permission
problems, that harden the use of Debian as a Desktop OS. (no permission
to sound? no permission to ttyS0? no permission to run X programs as
another user? )

And these are in my opinion, all the subjects, that should be addressed.
There is no need to change Debian dramaticaly. (that will lead to
Xandros). Libranet has addressed Debian's problems, as a desktop OS,
and that's all that matters.

Having said all of these, I still agree with you and az that Libranet is
not good for us, simply because it's installer is not translatable.
That's all, and I agree that for the time being, we should go the route
of Knoppix/Morphix. This should be our short term strategy, for Shabdix
1.0. For versions after 1.0, we will again take a look at Libranet and
Debian and others.

Everyone here agree with me?

> For now I would recommand to translate the knoppix hd installation:
> it works with gtk2 right now so we "just" need translation and put
> qtparted into it instead of cfdisk. qtparted looks really promising -
> i will try to test it with various filesystems soon. As it is qt
> based it should be translatable... I didn't take a look at Morphix
> yet...

Agreed. Good job. Keep us posted.

> For the long run I do not think that libranet offers more than debian
> itself.

For now let's not discuss the Long term.

> The new installer will be (hopefully at some time) graphical

Oh yes. I am sure it will. But not in sarge, and the next version will
probably come out.... Hmmmmm well I guess 2007 is a good bet. And who
knows what an OS will be like in 2007? And I bet, Libranet will also
ave a graphical installer in 2007. Hell, even FreeBSD might have a
graphical installer at that time.

> - comes with a powerful hw-detection and the libranet admin menu is
> just a couple of buttons starting scripts or programs like
> aptitude...

Well, last time I checked the "Unix philosophy" book, it described the
philosophy of Unix in this way: Build little programs, which call other
programs to do their jobs. Every application, should build on top of
other applications, and no applications, should do everything all by it
self.

"Small is beautiful"

I''m sorry, But this whole KDE and Gnome thing really goes against the
mentality of Unix. As a KDE fan, I have to say that I feel frustrated
with it's loading and startup time, and it's overall sluggishness. And
I am finding my self, more and more logging into other window managers,
like Xfce, fluxbox, and window maker. Oh, well, maybe I am getting off
topic here, but please don't critisize an application for just being a
bunch of scripts. Sometimes a bunch of scripts, might be much more
usefull, than a 100,000 line C program.

Cheers
--
/*  Give a man a URL he surfs one site.
Teach a man to google, he surfs for life */

Aryan Ameri