bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] [OT] C programming, variable size array

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] [OT] C programming, variable size array
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:29:16 +0200

On Friday 12 December 2003 23:13, Arash Partow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> usenet is probably the best place:
> comp.lang.c.*
> comp.lang.c++.*
>
> but be careful no to use your normal e-mail
> because you will receive a thousand spams
> a day after you start posting.
>
> to be honest, for c, programming books are the
> best place to learn, they will give you the right
> answer well before the web ever will.
>
> A good book is The C Programming Language
> you can dl a "sample" copy from here:
> http://www.partow.net/downloads/The_C_Programming_Language-SE.pdf

Thanks very much for the book. I already have a couple of very good
books by my side. Yes, I am learning C using a book, and infact I am
reading every single line of it.

The book that I am using is Deitel & Deitel, C How to Program. I like
the Deitel & Deitel books, they are comprehensive, up-to-date,
standard-compliant as much as possible, and also full of tips and
tunning tricks. They are serving me well (but they are pretty
expensive, anyway).

> > I just studied pointers, but I didn't yet know of the existence of
> > malloc and realoc.
>
> malloc, realloc and pointer are like a holy trinity... and free is
> their prophet. if you know of 1 of them you should know of all the
> others.

Yeah, but I just learned pointers today!! That explains why the
instructor didn't have time to teach the other functions.

> btw before the final exit routine you should do a free on the array
> otherwise things like bcheck will detect a memory leak with the
> program
> ie:
>
> free(array);

yeah, I am just learning calloc, malloc, free, realloc from the man
page.

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */

Aryan Ameri