bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC and audio CD's
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:47:43 +0200

address@hidden (Joel Molin) writes:

> After some time trying to figure out VLC and Bongo's internals, I
> understood that the audio tracks were enqueued as `cdda://@1',
> `cdda://@2', and so on.  Problem is, VLC didn't understand what my
> system default cd device was, but accepts names like
> `cdda:///dev/address@hidden'.

Joel, this is certainly a bug in VLC. It used to work -- it did when
we introduced the workaround for the other VLC bug. I can confirm the
bug in the official source distribution of VLC. Would you like to file
the bug report?

> {
> hunk ./bongo.el 4867
> -      (list (concat "cdda://" (match-string 1 file-name)
> +      (list (concat "cdda://" (if (string= "" (match-string 1 file-name))
> +                                  bongo-cd-device
> +                                (match-string 1 file-name))
> }
>
> I also had to customize `bongo-cd-device'.

Your patch should not be necessary, because `bongo-cd-device' is
supposed to be included in the file-name fields when you insert a CD.
The other way is to use C-u with the insert command and set the device
only for that insertion. (You can't change the device after you have
inserted the CD tracks.) If it's not working, then we have a Bongo
bug. Can you confirm the status of this?

I don't think there's anything Bongo can do about the VLC bug. The
user will have to set the device for it to work with VLC now. Sad...