bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:09:50 +0200

Dieter, could you report this bug?

I said I would report it, but I didn't.

See <http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_report>.

The report should contain exact versions of VLC and Windows.
You can use the following text.

Either send the report to <address@hidden> or reply
with your versions and I will send it.

Hi,

The --rc-fake-tty option is supposed to ``force the rc
module to use stdin as if it was a TTY''.  It appears that
this option does not work with the Windows port of VLC.

The following Python script illustrates the problem:

   import os
   import time
   os.chdir("/Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC")
   f = os.popen('vlc -I rc --rc-fake-tty "\\foo\\bar.mp3"', "w")
   time.sleep(10)
   f.write("quit\n")
   print "VLC should now be stopped."
   time.sleep(10)

On Windows, this program starts VLC okay, but fails to make
it stop after 10 seconds.  The same behavior results when
sending the sequence "\r\n" instead of "\n" after "quit".

Specifically, the issue appears to be that VLC reads from
the terminal instead of the standard input device.

[I guess it does that so that you can pipe a media stream to
the VLC process while also controlling it from the terminal.
However, this makes it impossible to control VLC remotely.
(If not impossible, at least very annoying and difficult.)]

By the way, why is the `os.chdir' line necessary?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>