bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: I want to make `f' and `b' move point

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: I want to make `f' and `b' move point
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:41:09 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Can't we just say `fuck it!' or `rock'n'roll!' or something
>> and bind <mouse-3> to a context menu?

[For the record, I done did that a couple of weeks ago.]

>> I sometimes use the region-selecting/killing binding of
>> <mouse-3>, but I don't think anyone will miss it much in
>> Bongo buffers.
>>
>> I know preview-latex does that (and I really like it),
>> and `pgas' on #emacs said Speedbar and ECB do it.
>
> Preview-latex only does it on images, so it's not really a
> context menu.

How is that not a context menu?  The context is the image.

> When you click with mouse-3 on text, you get the
> standard behaviour.

Right.  But Bongo buffers aren't really "a bunch of text",
to the same extent that, say, a LaTeX buffer is.

I'm just saying it's not necessarily bad that text editing
commands do not all work in the standard way, because Bongo
buffers inherently work in non-standard ways.

(That said, I do believe we should try to map Bongo onto the
concept of text editing as best we can.)

> SLIME also has a menu on "presentations", those are printed
> representations of objects that you can inspect or copy in the REPL.
> But again, you get the standard `mouse-save-then-kill' on text.

Well, aren't the "presentations" text?

> Bongo maybe could do it like that on section headers. For tracks, I
> don't think so. It can be convenient, but it is also an inconsistent
> feature. I use the menu in SLIME, but I'm often annoyed by it.

You do have a point, of course.  Bongo buffers are mostly
text and right now <mouse-3> has the non-standard behavior
on practically all text in all Bongo buffers.

I guess we could put the context menus only on the icons.

What do you think about that?

>> (Also GNOME and KDE and Windows and everything else does it.)
>
> That is a valid argument, but it's not the only thing to consider.

Granted.

> Anyway, creating the menu is simple. You need the menu, of
> course, and an overlay for headers. The overlay should
> have a tooltip advertising the menu.

I did it with `keymap' text properties.

I didn't add tooltips --- they were too annoying.  (If we
move the context menu to the icons, the tooltips won't be
nearly as annoying.)

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>