bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo is amazing!

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo is amazing!
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:18:31 +0200

Dylan Conlin writes:

> Hey there, I'd like to complement you on Bongo--it's by far my
> favorite emacs media player (I hardly read the docs it's so
> intuitive!)

Thanks! :)  I'm actually just rediscovering it myself.  How did you
find out about it??

> One question though: you recommend renaming your music collection
> hierarchically. Currently, I organize my music with iTunes, but I'd be
> happy to change over to data-rich file names. Do you know of any tools
> I can use to rename my songs hierarchically?

There's a program called `tree-from-tags.rb' in the Bongo distribution
which does exactly this, but it was written a long time ago and I don't
know if it still works.  I think it has a dependency on the library for
reading IDv3 tags.  See if you can get it to run!

It doesn't actually touch your files; it creates a separate directory
structure filled with symlinks pointing into your existing file system.