[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Process substitution failure on HPUX

From: Kevin
Subject: Process substitution failure on HPUX
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:46:32 -0700 (PDT)

Trying again, because my message seems to have been garbled last time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Caswick 
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 5:48 PM
To: 'address@hidden'; Kevin Caswick
Subject: Process substitution failure on HPUX

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
Machine: hppa2.0n
OS: hpux11.00
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS:  -DPROGRAM='bash' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='hppa2.0n'
-DCONF_OSTYPE='hpux11.00' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00'
-I./lib  -O
uname output: HP-UX dims-dev B.11.11 U 9000/800 834930630 unlimited-user
Machine Type: hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00

Bash Version: 2.05b
Patch Level: 0
Release Status: release

Bash is exiting with broken pipe error or hanging when trying to redirect
stdout to a process via process substitution. This is only happening on
our HPUX machine, not other machines I have access to. In the script I am
working with, it sometimes hangs, sometimes gets broken pipe error, and
sometimes works. The simplified test case below gives broken pipe error
95% of the time, and hangs the remaining 5% or so of the time. I didn't
see the case below ever work on the problem machine, but it may do so

bash -xc "exec > >(tee -a /tmp/foo) 2>&1; who"

The above command produces a broken pipe error on this machine and does
not put anything in /tmp/foo. On other machines I have access to, it runs
who successfully and puts a copy of who output in /tmp/foo

Kevin L Caswick
Member of Technical Staff - Programmer Analyst
WS Packaging Group, Inc.
1102 Jefferson Street
Algoma, WI 54201
E-Mail: mailto:address@hidden
Phone: (920)-487-6316
Fax: (920)-487-6245

If you're reading this you're part of the mass hallucination that is 
Kevin the Blue. 
Copyright 2003 Kevin the Blue <address@hidden>
"Software is like fire - it can be freely distributed without lessening 
the original flame."-konstant <address@hidden>

Do you Yahoo!?
Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]