[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a; history -n' causes shell hang in OX 10.10 Yo
PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a; history -n' causes shell hang in OX 10.10 Yosemite / bash 3.2.53
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:31:30 +1100
Since upgrading to OS X 10.10 Yosemite and thus bash 3.2.53 use of the
PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a; history -n'
workaround to get a single ksh-style history causes the shell to become less
and less responsive until it permanently hangs.
The problem is somewhat intermitant in terms of how quickly it starts, but it's
more pronounced after a su - to root (or probably any su). It can be readily
1) Putting the above command in your .bashrc file
2) Start a new terminal session
3) su -
4) Hit return around 20-40 times (optionally entering commands)
5) Watch as the prompt returns more and more slowly, then never at all, and PS
reports ~98% CPU usage for bash.
For a complete description, please see this stack exchange post:
- PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a; history -n' causes shell hang in OX 10.10 Yosemite / bash 3.2.53,
Graham Jones <=