[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#26621: hint for translators is missing from POT file, but is opaque

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: bug#26621: hint for translators is missing from POT file, but is opaque anyhow
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:57:28 -0700
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.0

On 04/27/2017 10:41 AM, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
If the note is pedantic, then please leave it out.

OK, done in the attached.

I suggest to split up the message again and to properly pluralize it.

That would make it harder to translate, no? The idea was to simplify the translator's jobs by using SI units.

Instead, how about if we remove the units from the string to be translated? That way, translators won't need to worry about whether to translate the units. Plus, there won't be any change to the output format in the C locale. I did that in the attached.

If the entirety of that output can have a varying width
that sometimes gets shorter than it was before, then dd
should first print that output to a string, record its
longest length, and then always fill up the string with
spaces to that length.

dd already does that. This approach does not work in general, though, due to the difference between strlen and column counts. But as its problems seem to not occur in practice, the attached patch removes the confusing translator note about this.

Attachment: 0001-dd-simplify-translator-s-jobs.txt
Description: Text document

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]