[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Bug-ddrescue] GNU ddrescue 1.20 released

From: Scott Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Bug-ddrescue] GNU ddrescue 1.20 released
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:33:24 -0400
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.2.0

I am also sorry that I did not test this sooner. But I have busy on my own project, HDDSuperTool, which I have not had time to work on myself lately. And it takes time for me to update and test my patch for every release/pre-release of ddrescue so I made a decision a while back to not work on my patch for pre-release versions unless I had the extra time to spare. I would have thought someone else would have noticed something like this and reported it. I really hope that the lack of some others testing isn't because I did not release my passthrough patch for the pre-releases. I don't normally use ddrescue without my patch myself, and right now I don't use ddrescue very often.

I would like to add that I have noticed a bit of an anomaly with 1.20 during the scraping phase. I have seen the error size and the error count fluctuate up and down a bit during a test. It is difficult for me to reproduce as I saw that toward the end of a test that took 14 hours.


On 9/21/2015 11:17 AM, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
Paul L Daniels wrote:
If only bad blocks are going to be reported as
errors, then ddrescue needs to report the non-trimmed and non-scraped
blocks as well so the user can tell what is happening. I personally
consider this something major and would suggest that you change it
back until the extra error reporting can be added. That is just my
opinion, but I feel it is worth voicing strongly.

    I agree with this and would like to add my voice behind it as
    well.  I do understand the original intent but have found the
    same as Scott.   That said,  it's probably a good thing, as
    it'll be nice to have a breakdown on the non-trimmed/scraped
    stats (for now I concurrently run ddrescueview along side
    usually to get a deeper perspective of what's happening ).

I'm glad you reported this, but I would be a lot more glad if you had reported it six months ago when this change was introduced in 1.20-pre1. ;-)

About "changing it back", it is not possible because 'errsize' is currently used, for example, to calculate the remaining time.

I'll try to release 1.21-pre1 ASAP. I hope this time someone tests it.

Best regards,

Bug-ddrescue mailing list

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]