[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[bug #23742] updatedb tries to index all mounted network shares when run
[bug #23742] updatedb tries to index all mounted network shares when running on Cygwin
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:24:58 +0000
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1)
Summary: updatedb tries to index all mounted network shares
when running on Cygwin
Submitted by: None
Submitted on: Monday 06/30/2008 at 20:24 UTC
Severity: 3 - Normal
Item Group: None
Assigned to: None
Originator Name: Jason Spiro
Originator Email: address@hidden
Discussion Lock: Any
Fixed Release: None
When running on Cygwin (a Unix emulation layer for Windows), updatedb tries
to index all available network shares which have been "mapped" (mounted) from
within Windows Explorer. When the shares contain tens or hundreds of
thousands of files, this is extremely slow.
If you need help learning Windows so you can reproduce this issue, please
contact me by email; or phone me at 613-668-6096.
To reproduce this issue, you will need:
- a client PC connected to a LAN and running MS Windows
- another computer (either running Linux and Samba, or running Windows)
acting as an SMB or CIFS file server.
(You can find all these things at many workplaces and university computer
- Sit down at the client PC, and map the network share to a Windows drive
letter. (Double-click "My Computer" then go to Tools -> Map Network Drive.)
- Install Cygwin on the client PC. It is available from www.cygwin.com.
When the installer starts, just keep clicking Next until installation is
finished. If you have a high-speed Internet connection, the
download-and-install procedure won't take long.
- Start the Cygwin bash shell. The icon will be on your start menu.
Steps to reproduce:
- run updatedb
- type the following command to view most of the locate database:
locate / | grep -v "/cygdrive/c"
- updatedb should not have indexed any attached network shares. (I know this
because the manpage documentation for --netpaths says "Default is none".)
- updatedb indexed all attached network shares
I am using the Cygwin package "findutils 4.4.0-1" on the Cygwin platform.
(uname -a reports "CYGWIN_NT-5.1 [...] 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-05-26 20:37 i686
Reply to this item at:
Message sent via/by Savannah
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [bug #23742] updatedb tries to index all mounted network shares when running on Cygwin,