[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Bug in rmail

From: Ruy Exel
Subject: Bug in rmail
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:56:53 -0300

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,

In GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.2222)
 of 2001-10-22 on buffy
configured using `configure --with-msvc (12.00)'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: enu
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I am running emacs 21.1.1 on a laptop (Compaq Armada 110) under
Windows 98 and I found a bug in rmail while trying to retrieve mail
from a POP server.  The temporary file name "tofile" defined in line
1501 of /emacs-21.1/lisp/mail/rmail.el by the code

                 (setq tofile
                        (concat ".newmail-pop-"
                                (file-name-nondirectory (substring file 3)))
                         (expand-file-name buffer-file-name))))

turns out to have a colon in it.  I guess that Windows interprets the
colon as separating drive and file name and this leads to a "no such
file or directory" error.

For your information the RMAIL file I am using contains the header

   BABYL OPTIONS: -*- rmail -*-
   Version: 5
   Note:   This is the header of an rmail file.
   Note:   If you are seeing it in rmail,
   Note:    it means the file has no messages in it.
   Mail: po:exel:pop.mtm.ufsc.br

so you see that my user name is "exel" and my pop server is
"pop.mtm.ufsc.br".  The variable "tofile" then becomes something like:

It seems that the programmer was careful to avoid colons given the
                 ;; cannot have "po:" in file name

in line 1500 but the addition (in emacs 21, I suppose) of the
possibility that the rmail-inbox-list includes the pop server as well
as the user name was not taken care of.

I have tried to fix the problem replacing the above lines by

                 (setq tofile
                       (expand-file-name ".newmail-pop"
                         (expand-file-name buffer-file-name))))

which results in a simpler "tofile" name.  Should you have a better
solution I will be interested in hearing about it.

Best wishes,

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]