[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:40:11 +0200
------- Start of forwarded message -------
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:27:05 -0400
From: Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer <address@hidden>
Subject: X Window resource leakage
I've been using emacs and gnus for quite some time and I'm puzzled by a
problem I'm having. I don't really know if it's an emacs or gnus bug
I'm posting this message here for now.
I use emacs 21.3.1 and gnus to read usenet and I'm also subscribed to
binaries newsgroups (mainly plane stuff).
When emacs opens a message that as image embedded in that it's able to
display (more on that later), it displays it. So far so good, except
it allocates some memory and never frees anything.
I have tried the cvs version of yesterday (22.214.171.124) and the same
happens. If you don't restart emacs from time to time, it's able to
all your memory.
To diagnose the problem, I used xrestop, a tool that "provides 'top'
statistics of each connected X11 client's server side resource usage"
(http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xrestop). Memory used by emacs
into the column "Pxm mem".
I could not find any error, but the value of image-cache-eviction-delay
is by default 1800 (30 minutes). You can try to lower it to a minute
or so and see if it helps. Also note that Emacs only clears images
after every 50:th redisplay. A redisplay is done very often (C-x C-f
C-g triggers one, so does displaying a tool tip) so that should not be
- Re: (no subject), (continued)
- (no subject), haoxiangchenggong, 2004/07/19
- (no subject), address@hidden, 2004/07/19
- (no subject), 深圳云风实业有限公司, 2004/07/19
- (no subject), 网络营销软件, 2004/07/19
- (no subject), Post Office, 2004/07/26
- (no subject), Bounced mail, 2004/07/26
- (no subject), jeroen, 2004/07/26
- (no subject), Returned mail, 2004/07/27
- (no subject), Mail Administrator, 2004/07/27
- (no subject),
Jan D. <=