bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#2261: marked as done (Dired with long ls switches)


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#2261: marked as done (Dired with long ls switches)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:55:08 +0000

Your message dated Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:47:52 -0500
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: Dired with long ls switches
has caused the Emacs bug report #2261,
regarding Dired with long ls switches
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
2261: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2261
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Dired with long ls switches Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:06:48 -0500
I have "GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1) of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu," known as emacs22-gtk by my distro.
 
I like --group-directories-first as an ls switch:  (setq dired-listing-switches "-al --group-directories-first")
 
In dired, when I do a file operation such as R-rename or M-chmod, the system file operation works, but the dired buffer does not update properly, giving:  Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked
 
This is because a character "d" is being appended to dired-actual-switches about 50 lines into dired-add-entry:
  (dired-insert-directory directory
     (concat dired-actual-switches "d")
     (list filename)))
Just concatenating "d" assumes short switches.  For example "-ald" works fine.  But "-al --group-directories-firstd" fails.
 
I fixed my installation by putting " -d" instead of "d".  This seems to work just fine for files and directories
 
Here is the debugger backtrace:
 
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked")
  signal(error ("Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked"))
  error("Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked")
  insert-directory("foobar" "--dired -al --group-directories-firstd" nil nil)
  dired-insert-directory("/home/dmb/bin/" "-al --group-directories-firstd" ("foobar"))
  (let ((default-directory directory)) (dired-insert-directory directory (concat dired-actual-switches "d") (list filename)))
  (let (buffer-read-only opoint) (beginning-of-line) (setq opoint (point)) (let (...) (dired-insert-directory directory ... ...)) (goto-char opoint) (when marker-char (let ... ...)) (goto-char opoint) (let (...) (if ... ... ...)) (forward-line -1) (if dired-after-readin-hook (save-excursion ...)) (dired-move-to-filename))
  (catch (quote not-found) (if (string= directory cur-dir) (progn ... ... ...) (if ... ... ...)) (let (buffer-read-only opoint) (beginning-of-line) (setq opoint ...) (let ... ... ...) (goto-char opoint) (when marker-char ...) (goto-char opoint) (let ... ...) (forward-line -1) (if dired-after-readin-hook ...) (dired-move-to-filename)) nil)
  (setq filename (if relative (file-relative-name filename directory) (file-name-nondirectory filename)) reason (catch (quote not-found) (if ... ... ...) (let ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...) nil))
  (let* ((opoint ...) (cur-dir ...) (orig-file-name filename) (directory ...) reason) (setq filename (if relative ... ...) reason (catch ... ... ... nil)) (if reason (goto-char opoint)) (not reason))
  dired-add-entry("/home/dmb/bin/foobar" nil)
  apply(dired-add-entry ("/home/dmb/bin/foobar" nil))
  dired-fun-in-all-buffers("/home/dmb/bin/" "foobar" dired-add-entry "/home/dmb/bin/foobar" nil)
  dired-add-file("/home/dmb/bin/foobar" nil)
  byte-code(" \n #ˆ\fƒ
 
 

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Dired with long ls switches Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:47:52 -0500
> In dired, when I do a file operation such as R-rename or M-chmod, the
> system file operation works, but the dired buffer does not update
> properly, giving: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked
>
> This is because a character "d" is being appended to
> dired-actual-switches about 50 lines into dired-add-entry:

Thanks for spotting and analyzing this bug.  I've checked a fix into
CVS.


--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]