bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#2668: marked as done (user option `warning-suppress-types')


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#2668: marked as done (user option `warning-suppress-types')
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:50:03 +0000

Your message dated Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:46:10 -0400
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: user option `warning-suppress-types'
has caused the Emacs bug report #2668,
regarding user option `warning-suppress-types'
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
2668: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2668
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: user option `warning-suppress-types' Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:16:17 +0100 User-agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
I regularly refresh newly generated output files that are open as a
buffer in Emacs with "revert-buffer". If these files are very large,
this produces the following warning:

"Warning (undo): Buffer `calibrate.lst' undo info was 34019863 bytes long.
The undo info was discarded because it exceeded `undo-outer-limit'.

This is normal if you executed a command that made a huge change
to the buffer.  In that case, to prevent similar problems in the
future, set `undo-outer-limit' to a value that is large enough to
cover the maximum size of normal changes you expect a single
command to make, but not so large that it might exceed the
maximum memory allotted to Emacs.

If you did not execute any such command, the situation is
probably due to a bug and you should report it.

You can disable the popping up of this buffer by adding the entry
(undo discard-info) to the user option `warning-suppress-types'."

I wanted to disable the popping up of the warning, but failed (with my
rudimentary Emacs knowledge). If I got it correctly from the discussion
in gnu.emacs.help (thread "Adding an entry to a user option"), the problem
is that the user option cannot (immediately) be customised, because it is not
defined by default. This is what Drew Adams wrote in gnu.emacs.help:
"Grepping the Emacs 23 lisp libraries for `warning-suppress-types' shows that it is referred to in a doc string in `simple.el', but it is defined and used only in library `warnings.el', which is not loaded by default. You cannot customize
it using Customize until it has been defined.

I think the fact that it is referenced in `simple.el' but undefined by default is a bug - please report it using `M-x report-emacs-bug'. But I warn you that it's likely that Stefan M. will reply that it is normal that most user options are not defined by default. ;-) I guess it all depends whether the doc string in `simple.el' is ever likely to be user-visible without `warnings.el' having yet
been loaded."

He asked me to report the bug here.

Stefan



In GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: DEU
 locale-coding-system: cp1252
 default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: GAMS-LST

Minor modes in effect:
 show-paren-mode: t
 cua-mode: t
 encoded-kbd-mode: t
 tooltip-mode: t
 tool-bar-mode: t
 mouse-wheel-mode: t
 menu-bar-mode: t
 file-name-shadow-mode: t
 global-font-lock-mode: t
 font-lock-mode: t
 blink-cursor-mode: t
 unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
 utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
 auto-compression-mode: t
 column-number-mode: t
 line-number-mode: t
 transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <drag-n-drop>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1>
C-w 2 <help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-r <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> M-x
r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading paren...done
Loading speedbar...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading url-util...done
Updating speedbar to: d:/data/GAMS/WorldScan/model_09/lst/baseline_EMF/...done
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Split window.
Loading kmacro...done
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Loading emacsbug...done





--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: user option `warning-suppress-types' Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:46:10 -0400
> I wanted to disable the popping up of the warning, but failed (with my
> rudimentary Emacs knowledge). If I got it correctly from the
> discussion in gnu.emacs.help (thread "Adding an entry to a user
> option"), the problem is that the user option cannot (immediately) be
> customised, because it is not defined by default.

Actually, `warning-suppress-types' can be customised as soon as the
warning is shown, because that loads the warnings library.  If you want
to customize it in a freshly-launched Emacs, do `M-x load-library RET
warnings RET'.

I've added a note to the warning message that warning-suppress-types is
defined in the `warnings' Lisp library.


--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]