[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#4157: 23.1.50; faulty character characterisation for ä

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: bug#4157: 23.1.50; faulty character characterisation for ä
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:30:38 +0200

Am 19.08.2009 um 02:23 schrieb Kenichi Handa:

Ah, I found this code in mule-cmds.el.

  (if (eq system-type 'darwin)
;; The file-name coding system on Darwin systems is always utf-8.
      (setq default-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

I don't remember why that code exists.  If the comment is
wrong (i.e. there's no need of treating darwin specially
here), the attached patch should solve the problem.

I finally managed to build a stable GNU Emacs! In ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15 environment default-file-name-coding-system is utf-8 and file- name-coding-system in nil, local in each of the visited dired buffers (0 in mode-lines). So again I see the file names (almost) correctly (the composed characters are taken, as usual, from some arbitrary fonts) and the month date field as M\344r instead of Mär and the \344 character (4194276, #o17777744, #x3fffe4), although part of ISO 8859-15, is supposed to be a raw byte and faultily declared as "not encodable by coding system iso-latin-9-unix." In the variant launched with UTF-8 this date field is displayed as Mär and this *obviously composed* ä described correctly as ä (228, #o344, #xe4) and taken to be displayed from an iso10646-1 encoded font. The buffer (and file) code is described as UTF-8 C3A4: #xC3 #xA4 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix).



We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week annually in September.
Join the millions

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]