[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#24953: 25.1; Possible inefficiency in UTF-8

From: Eli Barzilay
Subject: bug#24953: 25.1; Possible inefficiency in UTF-8
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:32:07 -0500

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >> (I originally thought that all it gets me is a default encoding for
>> >> non-ascii files...)
>> >
>> > You could customize just that, then.
>> Using `prefer-coding-system'?  Or something else?
> Using setq-default.

Sorry for being thick, but which variable?

>> > And I don't really understand why that is needed, either, unless
>> > you want the files you create to be automatically in UTF-8.
>> Doesn't that make sense if I almost always edit source code for
>> languages that use utf-8 to read sources?
> Languages that use utf-8 should already encode in utf-8 by default.
> Which ones don't?

I can't reproduce any such problems so perhaps whatever made me add it
is no longer a problem...  However, since I removed the UTF-8 language
setting on Windows I had one case which wasn't working right: I ran some
`git show ...` to look at a past change in a (utf-8 encoded) source
file; I ran it with `shell-command` and the resulting text that popped
up had some junk next to some non-ascii characters.  I'm pretty sure
that I didn't have such an issue with the setting on.

If this is not expected, I can try to get reproducible instructions.

                   ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                  Eli Barzilay:
                   http://barzilay.org/                  Maze is Life!

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]