[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
bug#30432: 26.0.91; freeze when text wrap-prefix exceeds window text wid
bug#30432: 26.0.91; freeze when text wrap-prefix exceeds window text width
Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:57:16 +1000
On 13 Feb 2018, at 3:15 pm, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Paul Rankin <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 12:15:17 +1000
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Sorry I didn't include my system before:
>> macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D47)
>> MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
>> Emacs.app built from emacs-26 branch
> Yes, I tried the emacs-26 branch as well. What I reported was from
> that branch's build.
>> It's definitely a freeze. Emacs becomes unresponsive and needs to be force
> Did you try C-g 2 or 3 times? If so, did it help?
Yep, C-g many times but no help.
>> I can understand that the real-world use case might not make sense to your
>> own use of Emacs, but in the use I described, it means Emacs freezes by just
>> changing the font size... not good.
> I agree the result is not good even if Emacs behaves like it does on
> my system, which is not a total freeze. I'll try to see if I can find
> some reasonable way out of this situation.
A few more bits of info:
- I think the freeze is entirely temporary, however the time frozen *seems* to
increase linearly depending on the number of offending lines, so a buffer with
only one or two extending lines might recover in a second or two, but a buffer
with many offending lines will appear permanently frozen.
- Move attempted point motion on offending lines appears to prolong the freeze.
- The freeze will be very minimal (a second or two) if point skips over the
wrap-prefix text entirely, e.g. apply wrap-prefix to lines in the middle of
buffer, then M-> to eobp.
- No freeze occurs if point is at eobp and moves back to bobp with M-< in the
same circumstances as above.
- The freeze will occur if the wrapped text is scrolled into view from below,
e.g. same circumstances as above, move point to eobp then mouse wheel up.
- When point moves to an affected position and things become frozen, the line
number in the mode line will display as "??"