bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#36858: 27.0.50; display bugs with display-fill-column-indicator-mode


From: Ergus
Subject: bug#36858: 27.0.50; display bugs with display-fill-column-indicator-mode
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 18:20:33 +0200
User-agent: NeoMutt/20180716

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 05:38:30PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 17:27:47 +0200
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, Davor Rotim <address@hidden>

1) The condition ends_at_zv_p didn't work as expected, I don't know If
this is an issue somewhere else, but at least in my tests, the condition
was always false. (for all the lines implied before and after ZV, where
there was company window or not)

So the filter condition I am using now is:

IT_CHARPOS (*it) < ZV

which seems to work fine.

2) There is a corner case because the indicator is never generated for
the latest line in the buffer. So a \n is required always at the end of
the buffer if there is text, which for me is fine (unix format), but I
don't know if I should correct that, should I?

Unix format has nothing to do with this, as in a buffer we always have
only \n characters at end of line.  But notr having the indicator show
in the last line of a buffer that doesn't end in a newline is
unfortunate.  Which is why I suggested to test the ends_at_zv_p flag.
What exactly didn't work with it?  Can you show me a test case where
the glyph rows past ZV don't have this flag set?  Maybe you should
test the enabled_p flag as well?

Hi Eli:

I just made this test:

in this code (in xdisp.c):

if (it->current_x < indicator_column_x)
 {
   it->face_id = merge_faces (it->w, Qextend_to_end_of_line,
                              0, extend_face_merged_id);

   it->char_to_display = XFIXNAT (Vdisplay_fill_column_indicator_character);
   PRODUCE_GLYPHS (it);

   it->face_id = extend_face_merged_id;
}

I changed char_to_display:

it->char_to_display = (it->glyph_row->ends_at_zv_p) ? '1' : '0';

And then I obtained the attached image.

As you can see the condition returns 0 for lines before zv, for the last
text line and for the company extra lines.

In terminal emacs, in the original emacs-26 code, in the function:
extend_face_to_end_of_line the code was:

```
 face = FACE_FROM_ID (f, (it->face_before_selective_p
                           ? it->saved_face_id
                           : it->face_id));
 (...)

 if (it->glyph_row->ends_at_zv_p)
     it->face_id = default_face->id;
 else
     it->face_id = face->id;
 PRODUCE_GLYPHS (it);

 while (it->current_x <= it->last_visible_x)
     PRODUCE_GLYPHS (it);
```

So the rest of the line was filled with the last face, (so this issue was
already there since then, because the rest of the line is filled with an
underlined face)

I can change the code to fill the rest of the line with a new merged
face (as I do for graphical emacs), but I think that this fix is
unrelated with dfci, so maybe someone else must give a look before to
prevent me breaking anything.

This is a more general issue, and I will respond to your question on
emacs-devel.

Thanks.

Attachment: Screenshot_2019-08-07_18-10-20.png
Description: PNG image


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]