[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
bug#42971: When following instructions in the "Building from Git" manual
bug#42971: When following instructions in the "Building from Git" manual node, 'git verify-commit...' fails. File got moved?
Fri, 21 Aug 2020 15:43:54 +0000
"How do you ensure that you obtained a genuine copy of the repository? Guix
itself provides a tool to authenticate your checkout, but you must first make
sure this tool is genuine in order to “bootstrap” the trust chain. To do that,
git verify-commit `git log --format=%H build-aux/git-authenticate.scm`"
1. When I run the command, I get the following error:
"fatal: ambiguous argument 'build-aux/git-authenticate.scm': unknown revision
or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'
usage: git verify-commit [-v | --verbose] <commit>...
-v, --verbose print commit contents
--raw print raw gpg status output"
2. So I looked for "git-authenticate.scm" with 'find' and got two results:
3. These two are different files, sizes don't match, 'diff' outputs a lot of
4. I searched for "git-authenticate" in NEWS, HACKING and README and didn't
5. Then I figured I'd look in Git commits and found these two:
"Add (guix git-authenticate)."
"maint: Remove 'build-aux/git-authenticate.scm'."
I'm not fluent in Git, GPG, nor Guile. Do I just run the command with
"guix/git-authenticate.scm" instead of "build-aux/git-authenticate.scm"?
- bug#42971: When following instructions in the "Building from Git" manual node, 'git verify-commit...' fails. File got moved?,