Hello Guix , Hello Hurd
Most of you already know me from the irc ,lurking around as phant0mas and that I am working towards porting Guix to GNU/Hurd.
In order to be able to do that I have already packaged mach headers ,hurd headers and mig and I am currently working on packaging and cross-building hurd's glibc with libpthread as an addon.
Here is a simple roadmap explaing what is there to be done.
1) Successfully cross-build the hurd's glibc
2) Make the appropriate changes to cross-base.scm so the toolchain will use the new glibc when hurd is targeted with "guix build --target=i686-gnu bootstrap-binaries"
3) Successfully cross-build Guix's bootstrap binaries. This will be the first milestone.
4) At this point we can try bootstraping guix in a native Hurd system while starting modifying the
Guix modules in order to add support for a GNU/Hurd system.
5) After adding support for a Hurd system and configuring system packages ,services , etc ,we could create a complete VM image of a GNU/Hurd system.
When we have that last one ,as it was pointed out from Thomas Schwinge in the irc, we'll be easily able to change some detail in, say, glibc, rebuild the whole system, and see whether it still works.
And because I am an eligible student I would like to apply as a GSoC student working on this.