[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Lilypond 2.23.0 crashes on layout

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.23.0 crashes on layout
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:16:58 +0100
User-agent: Evolution 3.38.4

Am Mittwoch, dem 17.02.2021 um 00:00 +0100 schrieb Arusekk:
> W dniu 16.02.2021 o 18:33, Jonas Hahnfeld pisze:
> > Usual disclaimer that LilyPond doesn't fully support Guile 2.2 (yet),
> > so you'll definitely see worse performance (mostly slower startup) and
> > might run into occasional issues, like this one. Guile 1.8 should be
> > the safer choice for now (if you still have it in Gentoo).
> I tried to track back the moment the issue was introduced, but then 
> found out that guile 2.x has been supported for two versions only, so I 
> stopped digging. Good to know.
> > That said, I've seen this issue before during my tests with Guile 2.2
> > (Translators being collected while still referenced somewhere), but
> > never had a stack trace to investigate. So it's already great to have
> > that, but do I read this correctly that you can reliably reproduce the
> > issue on your system? I'm asking because I can't on mine (Arch Linux)
> > and in fact, your file works just fine for me. So finding out how to
> > trigger this kind of bugs more reliably would be a huge step.
> On my box lilypond crashes every single time I command it to produce 
> PDFs (never does if not told to lay out), so I think I can provide much 
> help, maybe core files, or recorded execution from GDB (never tried to 
> do it before, though).

Okay, that's good for testing the fix (even though I've managed to
reproduce the report from ASan).

> > Regarding AddressSanitizer, did you just compile LilyPond with it or
> > all dependencies? I didn't attempt so far because I thought it wouldn't
> > work, but maybe I should try?
> I just set CFLAGS='-fsanitize=address -g' and 
> LDFLAGS='-fsanitize=address' before configuring lilypond, and installed 
> the debug symbols for guile, so that AddressSanitizer could resolve 
> function names from it. ASAN wiki suggests to mainly compile executables 
> with it, because it does not support sanitized libraries used with not 
> sanitized executables (or it does, but requires preloading it manually).

Ok, makes sense. I guess I confused it with MemorySanitizer then.

> But maybe sanitizing some library too would help additionally? I could 
> try it if you want, but sanitizing guile might break[1] (I have not 
> tried). Gentoo gives extreme flexibility as to managing compile-time 
> options, while handling the burden of building everything one thing at a 
> time, so this does not pose any problem for me (I don't recommend 
> setting up a Gentoo VM just for tests, unless you are patient, since 
> building lilypond and deps from a base system takes at least an hour).

It's not needed right now, I think I understand the problem at hand,
see https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6100 Maybe my plan
for fixing it works, let's see 😉️


> > (It could of course be an issue in one of the libraries, especially the
> > stack trace in Pango looks odd, but it's equally possible that it's a
> > heap corruption bug that may show in the least expected places...)
> (These heap bugs are the worst...)

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]