c-prog-book-questions

[C questions] prickly camaraderie

From: Douglas Crawford
Subject: [C questions] prickly camaraderie
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:04:55 +0100

Towards the eastern end of the townthere were two enormous factories of glass and concrete.
Not even enough wind to stir the ashes ofthe fire.
The one completely hopelessthing would be to tell her just where Id spent that week, and why. I took the left-handturning, and a minute later I was lost.
I only wanted toget my nerve back before the bad times begin. I happened to know theaddress because Id stayed there some years earlier. For anyone who has to earn his living such thoughts arejust plain foolishness.
One thing Ive noticed about the human mind is that it goes injerks.
I was still thinkingthe same thoughts as I walked home through the shivery streets.
They never have any change inNettlefield, not even at the pub.
At this moment I couldnt distinguish either of them.
Even the tombstonestell you the same story. Its just round the cornerall the time, and we all know its there. I wanted to get back there, justfor a week, and let the feeling of it soak into me. Theres stilltime to do the respectable thing.
Themystery of their lives, down there under water. And the huge black fish still gliding round it.
Just a voice, a bitof an eddy in the air. Because does anyonewho isnt dead from the neck up doubt that theres a bad timecoming? I wondered whether she was staying at the George, andmade vague plans to get off with her.
I took the left-handturning, and a minute later I was lost.
Its funny, thetremendous gloom that sometimes gets hold of you late at night.
The kids, in any case, always stay at theseaside for a month. Its a kind of vital juice that wevesquirted away until theres nothing left. But of course shed find out sooner or later.