c-prog-book-questions

[C questions] nights

From: Emory Silva
Subject: [C questions] nights
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:41:46 -0400

But she felt they knew something she did not know.
His hair was rumpled andhis eyes bloodshot and narrow.
That was wrong, being glad a husbandwas at the house of a prostitute, but she could not help it. Yes, sorry because youre such a child, Scarlett.
He had humbled her, hurt her, usedher brutally through a wild mad night and she had gloried in it.
I have always admired your spirit, my dear. He released her abruptly and made a weaving way back toward thedecanter.
Tomorrow the memory of this hideous night would notbe driving her so fiercely that she shook. I thought surely the whole townknew by now. How could a man say Oh, hello, after being gone withoutexplanation for two days?
She could not face himtonight, shamed, frightened, shaking.
She saw that he was coatless and his cravat hungdown on either side of his open collar. Everyone in the family connection was forced to takesides.
Youve lived in dirt too long to know anything else. His hands were on her head, under her flowing hair, caressing,hard, turning her face up to his.
I told youthat once before and you werent enough of a gentleman tounderstand.
Dont you realize I know you better than anyone in the world knowsyou?
He, like Scarlett, was forced to shelter behindMelanies skirts.
She could not humble herself to ask friends if they had seen him.
She thought rapidly, tryingto lay a line of defenses. People had been a bit cool, somewhat bewildered, but they had beenpolite. Oh, yes, youve been faithful to me because Ashley wouldnt haveyou.
He stood aside and bowed her through the door with a mockery thatmade her wince. But, she added with quiet venom, Im going toshow India and Mrs. Would she never stop stabbing him tothe heart? Theres no other explanation for heraction. Resolutely she tried to fight off this thought but it only made hercry harder. What would a child do with the moon if it got it?
And I, my darling, will continue tomoon after whores. And now he was back, insulting, sardonic,out of reach. She could not face himtonight, shamed, frightened, shaking. By God, thisis one night when there are only going to be two in my bed. I shouldnt have talked about it all and distressed youso. Dont you realize I know you better than anyone in the world knowsyou?
How does itfeel, my dear, to have the woman you hate stand by you and cloakyour sins for you? Youd disgrace it quick enough if Miss Melly was dead, wouldntyou?