ccrtp-devel

Re: [Ccrtp-devel] SymmetricRTPSession

From: Federico Montesino Pouzols
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] SymmetricRTPSession
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 20:10:03 +0200

Hi, see responses inline...

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:48:45PM -0400, Glenn MacGregor wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to ccrtp, trying to implement a softphone. If I want to receive data
> and transmit data (all voice) from my application i assume I need 2
> RTPSessions,
> correct?

Not necessarily. Actually, the usual way is to use just 1 RTPSession
for both transmission and reception. Each RTPSession has a particular
space of SSRC identifiers.

> One to receive and one to transmit, can I do this with one RTPSession?
> I did see the SymmetricRTPSession but very unsure how to use that?

The difference between them is that RTPSession uses different sockets
for transmission and reception, while SymmetricRTPSession uses the
same socket for both receiving and transmitting packets (which is
particularly useful against NATs and friends).

So with one RTPSession/SymmetricRTPSession you can implement a
participant that sends and receives voice packets.

HTH.