chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] 4.7.5 modified -> 4.8.2: heap full while resizing

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] 4.7.5 modified -> 4.8.2: heap full while resizing is back
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 07:51:53 -0500

Hi Jörg,

On 04 Mar 2013 13:55:01 +0100 Jörg F. Wittenberger <address@hidden> wrote:

> At 21 Oct 2011 I proposed some changes, which apparently have made it
> half-way into the chicken core so far. See
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2011-10/msg00084.html
>
> At 19 Jun 2012 in
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-06/msg00051.html
> I mentioned some more changes I made, which eventually made those
> "heap full while resizing" go away.  (I kept the mutation stack
> under a limit.)
>
> Now with my compile upgrade I somehow killed this change (since
> parts of it apparently went into the core).
>
> However the problem is back.  I can't run my code for any reasonable
> amount of time.  While it runs almost forever with the modified
> 4.7.5 code within about 128MB of memory, it grows beyond any reasonable
> size in seconds again.
>
> I'll try to bring my changes back in locally.  But I'll need help
> to prepare diffs for integration.  Who's interested?

Beware that chickens > 4.8.0 have a bug in the scheduler that affects
Linux.  See
http://code.call-cc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=chicken-core.git;a=commit;h=2a9696691c2792f981f0adfd46208d419eaad867
for more information.

The fix for that issue will probably be available in 4.8.0.3 soon.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario