chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:37:50 +0200

Am 14.10.2014 um 04:25 schrieb John Cowan:
Florian Zumbiehl scripsit:

String containing slash to filename? Exception! String containing colon
to hostname? Exception! String containing NUL to C string? Exception!
These aren't all the same.  Filenames and hostnames are specific uses of
strings, but C strings are just as general purpose as anyone else's strings,
even though they can't handle NUL.

IMHO they are all the same too. At least from a practitioners point of few. I doubt all to many of those even knew that the Scheme standard would be vague on allowing NUL as part of a string or not. Let alone recalling this in practice. And I don't know how many Scheme implementations did reject such strings. I know however that there is so much code out there, which expects NUL as legitimate character in Scheme strings, that I'd recommend to not reject it by default for a long time to come.

This time may be used to gather some experience from multiple parties.

I submit that I'm personally even opposed to the original idea of adding the additional NUL. Not only FORTH; with RScheme we had show stopper type of problems when we tried to get rid of the additional NUL once we had a case requiring the removal. Furthermore my applications rarely pass a string to C where the trailing NUL is required. But we handle a huge amount of short strings. Therefore I expect the added overhead to degrade the total quality of chicken for me.

/Jerry