chicken-janitors

Re: Windows testing?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Windows testing?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 08:38:10 +0100

Hi Josh,

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 04:18:52 +0000 Josh Helzer <josh@helzer.org> wrote:

> Hopefully this is the right place to ask:
>
> I've just starting using CHICKEN, and have encountered some egg installation
> failures under Windows.
>
> I would be willing to help test both the installation and functioning
> of *all* CHICKEN version 5 eggs under Windows: it would be a good way
> to learn more about the ecosystem, and hopefully a fast path to fixing
> the problems I'm encountering.
>
> How do I go about doing that?
>
> I would be willing to set up a CHICKEN-dedicated Windows VPS (assuming
> that there aren't any relevant differences between, say, Server 2019
> and Windows 10) to be used for testing...

Thanks for your interest in improving the situation of CHICKEN on
Windows.  Having automated tests for Windows would be great.  As far as
I can tell, none of the core CHICKEN developers use Windows regularly
and the majority of egg developers don't either.

We have a set of tools to test CHICKEN & eggs, but I don't know if they
work on Windows.  One of them is salmonella [1].  For a while I tried to
make it work on Windows, but at some point I just gave up, as access to
Windows boxes for me is difficult (also a relatively big effort, as I
don't use Windows myself).

There are still other tools, which together generate the reports you can
see by following links from http://tests.call-cc.org/

I don't know how easy it would be to port all the tools to Windows, but
I'd say just building CHICKEN on Windows, running its tests and calling
chicken-install on a couple of eggs would be very good progress already.

Being able to run salmonella and generate test reports on Windows would
be great.  Unfortunately I'm not able to do that by myself, but I could
help trying to make that happen.

Of course, any help to improve the situation of CHICKEN and eggs on
Windows is very welcome.

[1] http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/salmonella

All the best.
Mario