Re: [Chicken-users] ideas

From: tonyg
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ideas
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:01:43 +0100

> If you're interested in the DBI interface, go for it. As for me, I have my
> next couple contributions planned out and that is a couple months work
> already.

Fair enough. I might get to it, but it won't be soon...

> If we get far enough in our contributions to do such a thing, it would be
> really neat!

Indeed :-)

> > [persistence]
> What exactly do you mean by this? What contexts would you use it in?

Well, like Shelve.py in the python standard library - I've used that
before to implement a Wiki (which is why I was reminded). Shelve.py is
a general key-vs-object dictionary, backed by a GDBM file containing
serialized/pickled objects.

It's going to be tricky to get Chicken to do the same kinds of thing,
but it'd be *really really useful* if it ever started working - I'm
thinking pickling closures and continuations here. Very difficult :-)

There's a thesis by David Halls that touches on some of the issues - I
really enjoyed reading it, it was very inspirational:

        http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/halls97applying.html
        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/opera/projects/mobile_code.html
        http://www.crema.unimi.it/mirror/scheme/thesis/

Tony
--
Monkeys high on math -- some of the best comedy on earth
        - Tom Lord, regarding comp.lang.scheme