Re: [Chicken-users] Manual update

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Manual update
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:07:27 +0200

Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 08:08:21AM +0200, Sven Hartrumpf wrote:

On 29 Aug 2002, Peter Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
However, I still need to split up the gigantic manual.tex file into
smaller pieces that represent these sections.

Do we really want that?
manual.tex is more like a medium-sized document in the TeX world.
A one-file approach has many advantages:
- easy global changes and consistency checks (terminology etc.)
- easy to handle with modern hardware and editors (one big manual.tex
 might have been a problem in the 80's :-) )
- ...

First things first: Pete, the manual looks great! Many thanks for
the work you've done here - this is exactly as it should be.
Much appreciated!

I agree with Sven that a single .tex file simplifies many things,
but I understand the point Peter is making. Since the HTMP/PS/PDF
files should already be part of the distribution, the user
shouldn't have any hassle with separate documentation parts.
And it makes restructuring easier - which will probably be needed.