Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken benchmarks

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken benchmarks
Date: 18 Sep 2002 15:55:20 -0400

Brian Naylor <address@hidden> writes:
> > You are not the first who had this idea. The GCC source-code is
> > definitely too big and complex for me, but I don't know about others.
>
> Why is knowledge of the GCC source required?

If you are going to build a new GCC front end you need to understand
the GCC sources.

> Since GCC supports tail-calls, doesn't that already help?

Yes, but not if you use C as your target language. The tail calls are
not always or even consistently invoked in C itself. (It is also
inefficient to C this way in many instances but that's another issue.)

--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden